Firmware Dump questions and a request

jlpotocki
This post was updated on .
Okay guy I got a very weak wifi conection at my house (on my PC only @ 1Mb yes that low)  I used the firmware dump app and it created a TAR file that is 230.62MB is size.  now if I start taking out the extra apks will that cause problems.

When I ran the app it gave me the "success!" caption  followed by  "can not create mnt/SDCard/FDdump"  but when I went to look around the file manager the folder was there with the TAR file.  So if this is correct type of file, and If I can remove the extra APK files without causing damage to the dump I will release the dump for all to enjoy.  mind you though with this weak connection it'll still take time to upload.

Also I have a request so we can try to see if in fact I do have the real old hardware I was using AnTuTu Benchmark to see what was under the hood if anyone here that has the 2.2 os could install that so we can compare results and information to make sure these match.  (or if anyone may know of a better app to see tech specs of a device please let me know so we can get a final ruling on this issue.)

UPDATE:

okay I MAY have solved one question already and that is the CPU.  The CPU is listed as sun4i  this is the codename for allwinner's A10 CPU......  but there is a issue that is perplexing me at this time.  First the A10 is suppose to be a "v8" instruction set not a "v7a"  So this is were I got thrown off.  this model of mine dose not have the improved screen so no real multi-touch.  Analog stick works great on n64oid but in MAME it's still has issues so I am thinking that this is a software issues.  Also the RAM is showing as 323MB so that don't sound right.  Internal memory is 2.71 GB so a 3GB (that includes swap space.)

So what do I really have here?

Re: Firmware Dump questions and a request

gadgetmiser
Administrator
Hi Jlpotocki

Here are Antutu Benchmark results for my yinlips YDPG18, which is an Android  2.2 device:

Waiting excitedly for your machine's results!

Re: Firmware Dump questions and a request

Chip
I got one of the new 2.3.4 units.  Here are my results:

Note the 314Mb RAM... That's a bit of a letdown.

Re: Firmware Dump questions and a request

jlpotocki
Okay Chip's number are exactly like mine......  but the big question is still the v7 instruction set on a sun4i crane is suppose to be v8 so what gives.  oh well the system still runs very well so I am not complaining too much, but still would like some answers to the CPU questions I got.

Re: Firmware Dump questions and a request

gadgetmiser
Administrator
It's strange also that you do not have multitouch! How many variants are out there? Perhaps these things are assembled like Lego ... can't find a yellow long with three studs? Use the brown round with three!

Re: Firmware Dump questions and a request

jlpotocki
well there is one thing that does concern me is that yinlips' website have been down for over a week now.  Are they still around?  and could it be that we got these systems due to these being test models of there upgrades (like the Dingoo incident?)  There is also a thought since they are planing to release the upgraded models these will be the new standard model?   So many question so few answers.  Also on the topic on analog stick issues 2.3.4 so far does not cure that issue as far as I can tell and unless you got a emulator that can keymap at least 16 points it's going to be a continuing issue.  let's face it this is was the 2nd Android gaming system ever built (first was Sony Xperia and Sony's drivers are propitiatory to that system.)  what we need is a system app to fix the issue once and for all.  Or wait until there are more of these types of system out on the market.

Re: Firmware Dump questions and a request

Chip
jlpotocki wrote
well there is one thing that does concern me is that yinlips' website have been down for over a week now.  Are they still around?
It's the middle of the Chinese new year holiday.  Pretty much all business in China shuts down for 2-3 weeks  for the festivities.  The website being down is very likely related to this.  I wouldn't worry too much on that front.

As to whether or not the odd "inbetween" units that we've received will every receive any proper support or fixes...  I won't be holding my breath.

Re: Firmware Dump questions and a request

jlpotocki
No I'm not expecting a fix from them (or any other company), but if a android programmer could create a apk that would be nice.  I'm not holding my breath on that, but one could dream.

Re: Firmware Dump questions and a request

shizzleslick
I got a maybe stupid question. What do I need and how can I create a dump of my G18, so it will work on another G18?
Thanks in advance!

Re: Firmware Dump questions and a request

Chip
There's a link to a firmware dump apk and instructions on how to use it in this post.  Note that you do need root in order to do it.  If you manage to get root on your gingerbread G18, please let me know how you accomplished it.

Re: Firmware Dump questions and a request

shizzleslick
Thanks for the link. No, I have an "old" 2.2 device :-(