Android 2.3 Gingerbread

12

Android 2.3 Gingerbread

DarkDante
I saw on another forum that Yinlips announced an update to the Android version for the G18 to 2.3 Gingerbread, I can't seem to find that announcement anywhere, I'm wondering if anyone here has heard about it? Maybe we could get the analog stick fully functional! :) here's a link to the forum where I saw this, it's post #9:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1384863

Re: Android 2.3 Gingerbread

shizzleslick
Hi,
The actual website of Yinlips shows that the G18 already has Android 2.3
But I havn`t found any "update" for download.

shizzleslick

Re: Android 2.3 Gingerbread

Fonseca9001
I just sent an email to Yinlips regarding the issue. Waiting to see if I get a useful response.

Re: Android 2.3 Gingerbread

Fonseca9001
Received an answer:

Dear Joao,

Thanks much for purchasing our product.

I am sorry to tell you that impossible to update the android OS from version 2.2 to 2.3.

Best Regards,
  Liya

Looks like we won't be getting any help from yinlips.

Re: Android 2.3 Gingerbread

DarkDante
Wow that sucks, so I'm no programmer -- can anyone here tell me if it's really impossible to do? Or is it just that yinlips is moving on and won't spend the time/money to do this? I guess what I'm wondering is there  some kind of hardware limitation on the ydpg18 that prevents an android upgrade?

Re: Android 2.3 Gingerbread

jlpotocki
This post was updated on .
Okay I did some snooping and google translating in the main Chinese version on the site I come across a 143MB file the title translated as "G18 core Hongbo She, like the first software"   you just gotta love Google translator folks....   Anyway I downloaded it opened the zip and there was a DOC here is what the title translated to:
"G18 Upgrade Guide"
*edit* (I decided to remove the rest of the translation because it's just instructional stuff)

Now something tells me this maybe your real answer.  there is a update zip in there as well and I do see a AMLogic.so file (though it's for the sensor.)  but there is no other doc, ini, nor cfg files that identifys as 2.3.  and since I do not have my system yet I can not take my chances on it.

Quick edit:  this file was recently added (cause I have check frequently to both versions of the sight)  so if this not 2.3 at least we have a recovery if we do something really stupid and or reckless to our systems.

Re: Android 2.3 Gingerbread

Dimitris
I read the "build.prop" file in update.zip and it says 2.2

Re: Android 2.3 Gingerbread

Fonseca9001
gadgetmeister over at his thread http://yinlips-ydpg18-forum.2315615.n4.nabble.com/Cyanogenmod-would-it-work-on-YDPG-18-td4298239.html made me real curious.

I have no android/linux programming skills whatsoever but this sounds too me like a viable option to getting our ydpg18's running an updated and overall more open OS

Re: Android 2.3 Gingerbread

jlpotocki
Well in all impossible is incorrect.  the AMlogic A-9 they use is compatible with up to 2.3.4 it's just a typical business move to sell newer models.  Though doing it this quickly is a bit nuts it is still just normal practice with any company.  If we did have someone here with Android programing skills then we could get a unofficial upgrade started, also that Cyanogenmod could also be promising  (I'm going to join the forum there and request some help) if your willing to sacrifice a device or two then maybe that could be our version of Dingux.

Shoot I may use the one I'm getting as a experimental system (when I buy the upgraded version.)  There may even be a chance that ICS could be installed if we succeed in getting a 2.3 built (it dose state in Android's wiki if a system can run 2.3 then in theory it can run ICS.)

Just never say never......

Re: Android 2.3 Gingerbread

jlpotocki
Well I just got mine in,  and it's a gingerbread 2.3.4.  Yes!!

Re: Android 2.3 Gingerbread

DCXPIG
 On the TDPG18?  I've had mine for 2 weeks and unfortunately I'm on 2.2, so is there a way to upgrade or....  I was going to throw it up on Ebay but...

Re: Android 2.3 Gingerbread

Rosenkranz
Can you, if you have the time, post a video or just write down the differences between 2.3 and 2.2 Android in two Yinlipses? Maybe later you could make an image of your version of android so people could try do put them on their Yins?

Re: Android 2.3 Gingerbread

DCXPIG
I second that...  An image snapshot in Titanium would be awesome if it is indeed 2.3 flavored.  Can anyone else confirm 2.3 on their console?

Re: Android 2.3 Gingerbread

qbertaddict
I this is true please dump your fs and zip it up. At least take a screenshot to prove yours does indeed have gingerbread

Re: Android 2.3 Gingerbread

gadgetmiser
Administrator
Hi Jilpotocki, I second (or third, or forth) the requests for a screenshot. It would be great for this device. So please please please with sugar on it.

Re: Android 2.3 Gingerbread

DCXPIG
Are you guys going to abandon the first model in favor of the new flavor assuming 2.3 doesn't come to fruition?  I've been eyeing the JXD, upgrading to the cfw now to see the performance difference and update my emus...

Re: Android 2.3 Gingerbread

jlpotocki
Okay to answer all question: Yes I will post a video and take screen shots.  the quality is piss poor but I am using a $30 camcorder due to my real camera' battery is dead and will not recharge.  the snapshot were from android comet.

Re: Android 2.3 Gingerbread

jlpotocki

Re: Android 2.3 Gingerbread

jlpotocki
Okay I am uploading the video in youtube.....  and it's no fun posting a video in the cold and the rain (I'm at the park next door under a gazebo.

Re: Android 2.3 Gingerbread

jlpotocki
12